Tofu is a very popular ingredient in Vietnam. It is made from soya beans through its fermentation and precipitation. For many thousand years, Vietnamese have used it in their meals and elevated it into several dishes. Today there are more and more vegetarians, or people who want to avoid red meat due to its bad effect on health, tofu becomes a great replacemet for beef or pork. Cooking tofu is not difficult but cooking it properly is another story. With this recipe and instruction, you will be able to cook it in the best way.
First, we should choose good pieces of tofu. A good piece of tofu always contains lots of soya rather than other substances. So we just smell, the fragrance of soya coming to our nose will define a good or bad tofu.
- Tofu: 400 gram
- Vegetable oil: 300 ml
- Chop about 10 stems of lemongrass ang put it into a clean bowl
- Cut the tofu into small squares.
- Heat the pan and pour 300 ml of oil, wait until its hot enough ( dip the chopsticks down to the oil till you see the bubbles)
- Put the tofu into the hot oil, remember the oil should fullt cover the tofu.
- Wait until the tofu turns yellow, touch the chopsticks onto it to see if they are crispy enough, then pick them all up, put them on the napkins. The oil will be absorbed quicky.
- Heat another pan then put 3 spoons of the new oil.
- Pour all the lemongrass into the oil with 1 spoon of salt, then put all the tofu into it.
- Shake the pan until the lemongrass turns dark yellow.
This dish is best eaten with steamed rice.